3.2 Carrera - now a project!

Nice work. I adopted the spot welding technique some time ago - also works for me - it slows you down and stops you going off-path. I splashed out and bought a portamig (about £600) - british made. Can't praise it enough for it's consistency. With a previous SIP one I spent about £150 trying to improve the wire feed and if I left it for a while then I'd usually end up taking the first half hour getting it working properly again. With the portamig I can leave it for 6 months then pick it up and use it. 

I will dig a little deeper and see what I can find.

Portamig was a UK manufacturer of transformers, power supplies and welding equipment. I think they were based in Leeds.

This company has stopped trading.

I suspect that TA has got hold of the name and sell blue machines branded TecArc or red machines branded Portamig.

I do hope I am wrong - its always seems a great loss when a UK manufacturer decides to call it a day.   

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=6485

These work well. You buy the bottle and then exchange it when empty.

There must be the equivalent of 15+ disposable cans in these.

I use one on my portable - saves lugging a huge bottle around.

If you hunt around you will find someone selling these for around £80 and you pay £15 for a refill.

Or borrow a bottle from your local pub and pay £10 for a refill.

52 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Am curious about the CO2 only suggestion?

I understood that yes it works, but an argon mix is much better. 

I've been using the CO2 because that's what came with the welder and I just carried on with the same! The hobbyweld is a tri-mix of CO2, Argon and Oxygen (I think) I have heard that it gives a better weld but never seen it myself? 

Hobbyweld works out at about £160 for the first bottle inc regulators then £40 a fill up, each fill is supposed to be 20 disposables.

One of those new welders comes with a regulator though.....

3 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=6485

These work well. You buy the bottle and then exchange it when empty.

There must be the equivalent of 15+ disposable cans in these.

I use one on my portable - saves lugging a huge bottle around.

If you hunt around you will find someone selling these for around £80 and you pay £15 for a refill.

Or borrow a bottle from your local pub and pay £10 for a refill.

I've just emailed sealey to see if there's a local supplier!

Co2 is fine for steel.

If you were doing some intricate work on some fancy steel alloys I would recommend something different.

1 minute ago, Robos911 said:

I've been using the CO2 because that's what came with the welder and I just carried on with the same! The hobbyweld is a tri-mix of CO2, Argon and Oxygen (I think) I have heard that it gives a better weld but never seen it myself? 

Hobbyweld works out at about £160 for the first bottle inc regulators then £40 a fill up, each fill is supposed to be 20 disposables.

One of those new welders comes with a regulator though.....

I've just emailed sealey to see if there's a local supplier!

I doubt its oxygen but it could be amusing to watch.

Argon, helium & Co2 are the standard mix.

Well, that's me confused!

Am reading on MIGWelding and Retrorides how the Hobbyweld Ultra / SGS Argon mixes are said to be considerably superior to CO2 only, whereas the suggestions here are the other way round?!

Barry Carter on DDK recommends 95%argon/5% CO2 - which is what I use. You used to have to get a monthly subscription with a supplier but now a lot of places are doing the bottle replacement idea which is perfect for hobbyists - a bottle can last a month or 2 years. 

24 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

How do you find it for welding car body repairs?

I've not got it yet, still got a bottle of CO2 left to use.... 

The main reason for looking at this is that the supplier is only down the road!!

Went for a bottle of this stuff, 80% Argon, 18% CO2, 2% Oxygen, I was using CO2 before!! 

First impressions are very good, noticably less splatter, penetration seems better and the weld pool seems easier to control although I have been blowing through a bit more often...? (Contradiction??) bit early to give a true review but I was surprised that it made such a big difference!!

£65 for the bottle with £55 refundable on return and £40 refill.

22CDFA75-2C55-4EF2-B724-0EAADBC63DFE.thumb.jpeg.59a12356fffc2bb02afd04f1b47eab7f.jpeg

Thanks FF!! 

Tidied the weld and put a first coat of epoxy mastic on, just to make me feel better!! Its nice to see bits slowly improving!

Looking forward to/dreading the next bit, investigating the sills!!

👍

1C2F1C30-6BC4-4EC7-B246-FB709BC45015.jpeg

Missing bracket is in my bucket of bits marked clean up and paint.... it’s a big bucket😉

Edited by Robos911

Just noticed this thread,  great work that man!!

For painting your fuel tank,  I used a 3M product that I found after a lot of online research into good matches to original. It comes in a two part bag that you squeeze together to activate. Only issue is that you would need a compressor and schutz gun to put it on. Pretty sure this was the one.

https://groveshop.co.uk/sealers/19257-3m-two-part-sprayable-sealer-ql-coating-8800.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwsdfZBRAkEiwAh2z65jf7-R5y5QnRVyaDanOMMwGvlvHLLaXw_9l4QNfHeOEqXtbCHHwZxBoC-2wQAvD_BwE

I didn't apply it myself but the bodywork guy who did thought it was fantastic and has started to use it more widely.  Photos of finish in this thread...

Keep up the great work! 

Al.

13 hours ago, Flat 6 said:

Just noticed this thread,  great work that man!!

Keep up the great work! 

Al.

Al,

I’ve been following your thread, I will have a look at that sealer, looks like a good match!

cheers👍