3.2 Carrera - now a project!

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, with the good weather it's been too tempting to go away in the van!  I've also spent lots of time reading through other threads on here and ddk! Some great work out there hopefully I can replicate some of it!

I decided to tackle the job one bit at a time so i ordered a LHS Dansk inner wing repair panel from Heritage, the only place I could get one, its off an earlier model but the bit I need (top section) looks the same so should be ok! Also ordered a genuine bumper bracket from Tech9, same price as the main dealer but local to me so easy pick up.  While I was at Tech9 they let me take some measurements from another Targa they had in, exact same measurements as mine 👍 Unless that had also sagged????

They had some nice kit in, including an ex class winning lemans car! 

Back to reality though, I had a go at the front repair panel, it was a bit big to do in one so I'm making 2 sections, first one made, hole cut to suit and tacked in place, quite happy with it but might have to invest in some panel beating kit, used a ball peen hammer, bag of sand and vice! 

Doing these bits first will let me practice my welding on the bits you can't see! 

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

22 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Nice bit of progress. Are you putting all of that large inner wing section in - hard to tell from the pic, it looks like the original rain channel is pretty rusty?

I'm planning on just using the section circled below but it depends how bad it is when I hit it with the wire brush!  The new panel only has 3 ribs on the RHS whereas the original has 4 so I want to keep those if I can. Also there's no pipes on the new panel LHS and mine are shot so I will have to come up with something for those. Petrol tank breather and washer bottle I think?

IMG_3131.JPG

Edited by Robos911

I bought some genuine Porsche kidney bowls last year cheaper than aftermarket, so shop around. Don't assume Porsche will be more expensive than aftermarket.

I don't think there are any repair panels for the inner wing behind the bumper mount, I made some, it made three sections to get the right shape but quite do able at home.

I'll try to find some better photos.

IMG_4942.thumb.JPG.48c2995c5c9947d255bc6d3bf1e1e22b.JPG

IMG_5362.thumb.JPG.5c5177f8a4ae225729831d4690e3eb32.JPG

OK only just caught up with this thread - I went through this journey a few years ago. It’s a bit of a rollercoaster but massively enjoyable.

People have mentioned about jacking the car up supporting it etc. Have a look at this thread from DDK by Barry Carter - bodywork-meister. One excellent advice on jacking the car up and supporting it and then what repairs he does. 

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28001

I followed Barrys advice in supporting my car - the caravan stands were massively useful (basically threaded bar on a tripod - cheap and easily available online.

Here are a couple of links to my own car’s thread. I initially went to do some localised repairs, and later on this turned into a full resto. This is where I intended to sort out the ‘bit of rust’ on my inner wing and found it was probably worse than yours

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6932&start=405

After that I put it back on the road and drove it for a while - including a trip to Germany in summer 2013

Here is where I start on the sill repairs properly

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6932&start=510

What started out as a bit of hole poking ended with with both sills, new from wings, reprofiled arches, sunroof delete and full engine rebuild. Started September 2013 and finished for CLM 2014

Good luck with your resto and keep the pics coming

Cheers

Sladey

9 minutes ago, sladey said:

Sladey

I'm about half way through your thread at the mo, 120 pages, it's a monster! Looks like you got the hang of the panel beating!

i was planning on moving onto Barrie's thread once I've finished yours!

Im taking my time, trying to enjoy it and doing one job at a time, I reckon if I looked at the big picture I would be throwing my hat in 😳

26 minutes ago, sjwright944 said:

I bought some genuine Porsche kidney bowls last year cheaper than aftermarket, so shop around. Don't assume Porsche will be more expensive than aftermarket.

I don't think there are any repair panels for the inner wing behind the bumper mount, I made some, it made three sections to get the right shape but quite do able at home.

I'll try to find some better photos.

You can get the front section as a repair panel now from Dansk but they are £180,  I don't think I would use much of it and you can't really see it when it's fitted so I thought if i'm going to try and make any panel, that's the one!!

The bumper brackets are Porsche only, £168 10% off with owners club, I couldn't get them any cheaper but Tech9 are local!

Yours looks a bit better than mine!

12 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Great work. Watch out for the bonnet release tube when you cut into that inner wing at the top.

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers

FF

Thanks!!

I'm guessing your talking from experience??

Cheers Steve 👍

Forgot to add, I took the fuel tank out because I didn't fancy welding so close to it, it looked fine in situ, no rust. Once I got it out there was a split in the rubber paint on the seem which had let water creep underneath it and it had rusted all the way round!! Need to fully strip it now, anyone know of a similar looking paint?

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

Wow! That is some serious work you are doing! 

I have just bought an '87 targa in GP white from the states. The car lived in the dry states and there is no rust, anywhere. Quite chuffed with that purchase when I see how bad these can get.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the hell out of the car when it's done 🙂

5 minutes ago, DLK said:

Wow! That is some serious work you are doing! 

I have just bought an '87 targa in GP white from the states. The car lived in the dry states and there is no rust, anywhere. Quite chuffed with that purchase when I see how bad these can get.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the hell out of the car when it's done 🙂

Congrats on the Targa. If your new car is totally rust free, go nuts on protecting it. Dinitrol ML is good stuff for squirting into cavities, sills, and anywhere you can poke a thinnish straw. It'll drip out and then you know it's doing its thing. 

2 hours ago, Robos911 said:

Forgot to add, I took the fuel tank out because I didn't fancy welding so close to it, it looked fine in situ, no rust. Once I got it out there was a split in the rubber paint on the seem which had let water creep underneath it and it had rusted all the way round!! Need to fully strip it now, anyone know of a similar looking paint?

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

What's the inside of the tank like? My 76 912E tank has been cleaned and cleaned but there is still a rattle in there. Going to put a new Dansk tank in I think 

I got to the same stage with my tank, the more I stripped back the more rust I found! Swapped for a new Dansk tank, left the top unpainted stonechipped the underside. Saves a few Kg on the original too 👌

I was presuming the inside was ok the fuel looked clean when I drained it. Might see if I can borrow a borescope from somewhere to have a look inside!

I've checked and it's about £200 for a new tank, so that might not be a bad shout!

On 5/4/2018 at 10:15 PM, Robos911 said:

No but to be fair I've been driving around in it like that for the last 3 years 😂

As bodge's go it's actually fairly solid, no flex when you use the jacking points or have it on stands front and rear, jacked it up on the engine and again no movement, only problem is im not convinced it's not sagged previously i.e. when the previous sills were done, I'm thinking support the rear on the torsion bar, jack up on rear of engine and use that to get the gaps right before bracing it??? I need to confirm what the gaps should be so will be asking for some help with measurements!!

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, good project and great work and progress so far firstly.  I seem to recall that with the weight of the engine hanging out back, there is a school of thought that says these cars don't sag, they 'open up'.  When I did one of my kidneys, I put some tape from the screen top to the hoop, marked it, then jacked the car up in different places to see if there was any movement.  

Keep it up!

Kevin

You may find the top of the tank is ok. Mine was rusty from about half inch above the seam on and off all over the underside. Bare metalled the whole underside and seam but left the top as it looks old but original. That original coating is tough. I've primed it twice with bonda primer then will stonechip coat it then find a close enough grey rattle can to match.

Thanks all!! 

Cracked on with the inner wing today, there's  bad news and good news, bad news is my welding is still crap but good news I'm now ace with a grinder!

Wasn't happy with the welding in the pics, I didn't get great penetration so ground it back (those 40 grit flap wheels are priceless!) then welded it from the other side, don't know why but it seemed to be much improved, maybe just that I was getting into the swing of things.....

I didnt go too mad grinding back, I would rather keep some strength and it won't be visible once it's primered, seem sealed and stone chipped!

Also cut down the new repair panel and drilled out loads of spot welds ready to fit it.  Looking at the screen surround I'm also going to use that section of the repair panel but I'm attacking it in 2 parts!

Progress but slow!

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Small update, not much really, I got a delivery of Rustbuster, 2 pack epoxy mastic which should keep the rust at bay! 

My welding is improving, not leaving many pinholes now, so less rework. Ive not finished dressing the welds yet and i'm leaving the rhs unwelded for now because I reckon once I've got the screen out I could be going further along!

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some more bits today, nice motor parked outside, in for some engine work, I'm sure I recognise it from on here or DDK??

I've been working on the second side for the last week or two. On the first side I bought a panel for £180 then cut it up, this time I thought I would have a go at making my own! I'm chuffed with the result, came out better than expected, I was half thinking I would end up binning it and buying one anyway!

Don't know why but the penny has finally dropped with my welding, getting some nice runs now, pic below shows a close up before and after cleaning up!! First time I've Not been too embarrassed to show the before👍 I'm not saying it's good but it's a lot better than it was! If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve I won't be insulted, I basically did a series of spots, giving it a second between each, thoughts???

Tried my new spot weld drill to remove the old bumper mount, which was spot on 🤛, ended up looking like Swiss cheese, just need to finish the bumper mount and that's the inner wings done!

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

Cracking job Steve.

Wish I had the balls to have a go at welding.Anything mechanical I'll have a go.

You could have practiced on mine !

Mine has been like this for the time Ive had the car ( 6 years )and not got any worse but its annoying.

How hard was it to remove the wings ?

Ian

IMG_3588.JPG

That could've been a pic of my inner wing (pic of mine below)!

Same as you mine kept passing the MOT as it was, 3 years, but really I knew it was worse underneath.  The wings were really easy to take off, just unbolt, the bumper and valance were more fiddly but not difficult... have you had a "feel" of the top of the inner wings?

Welding is worth trying, I borrowed my mates gas free welder and it worked but was a pain, then borrowed another mates gas mono-mig  which was much better.  Im still not great but improving all the time, best thing is you can always grind back any *beep* ups!!  I then found the same welder on eBay with no bids and ended up paying £30 for my welder! 

Keep thinking I really should buy a better one but hey🤔IMG_2983.thumb.JPG.dc941ff136a5ddc620a865d89af48cfb.JPG