2020 Alpine Road Trip

World leaders in exports now too. 

New Zealand's two new cases were travellers from the UK

We are getting more details now of the two new Covid-19 cases in New Zealand – the first cases there for 24 days.

The two women had travelled from the UK and were released from government quarantine and allowed to drive 650km from Auckland to Wellington on compassionate grounds.

Yes, read about that.  They were in the 14 quarantine (not quarantine at home, but quarantine in a hotel designated for those purposes and set up as a real quarantine) and allowed special leave to see a relative who died that night.  They travelled by car alone and stayed with one relative in Wellington, so not the worst outcome, but policy will now change meaning a negative test is required in order to get compassionate leave from quarantine.  All sounds fairly grown up.

In other news, I think the Amden hotel is off the list as they are now referring me to a sister hotel for September - https://www.schwendihaus.ch/index.html.

I am not fussed, as it was not a highlight in any event.  So no problem.  Amden was just a convenient place to meet without typically vast Swiss accommodation costs.  It does have a fairly epic view from that hotel.

Did you bother to read it Mark?  The article sets out the current travel restrictions faced by UK citizens looking to travel to Europe.  How could it be more factual or true?  And also somewhat of interest to people reading a thread about guess what - a road trip in Europe.

What reliable source do you use for your news?  

15 hours ago, MarkJ said:

oh its in the Guardian, must be true then :rolleyes:

Facts Mark, not alternative ones either ;)

Another fact is that UK's handling of CV19 has been more Little Britain than Great Britain. 

Maybe take a stroll out of your echo chamber every one in once in a while and checkout what's really happening in the world ?

Edited by GaryH
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, GaryH said:

9 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

or you could try keeping your left wing sniping bullsh*t out of a car forum :) and a thread for a trip that you aren't involved with.

Sorry, where is the "sniping" or the "bullsh*t"?  You might have cause to argue with Gary over some other stuff elsewhere, but the initial post here was a link to information with a single bland and un-inflammatory intro sentence. What was the problem?  You are playing the man not ball mate.

BTW, I like the Guardian, its awesome.  Its not perfect but Marina Hyde is totally ace.  As is John Crace.  I still subscribe to The Times as well.  Used to subscribe to The Telegraph for balance, but its become the daily Boris, so I dropped it.  Its just a propaganda piece now.  Its a joke.

41 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

BTW, I like the Guardian, its awesome.  Its not perfect but Marina Hyde is totally ace.  As is John Crace.  I still subscribe to The Times as well.  Used to subscribe to The Telegraph for balance, but its become the daily Boris, so I dropped it.  Its just a propaganda piece now.  Its a joke.

And here I was sure that you were a Daily Wail reader. 🤣

The Torygraph seems more critical of Boris et al than it used to be.

Well said a Roy. If you don’t like a particular paper, walk on by. If you really don’t like it, buy a copy, take it to the loo, read it and laugh at the slanted journalism, rip it up into 6x4 sheets and wipe your backside with it. Just don’t bring that **** in here 😂

Richard, I get my travel news from you. Just say the word, I’ll fuel up, Chuck a t shirt, toothbrush and my flip flops in a bag and I’m ready to rock! Lol 

I have no dog in this discussion but it seems to me that the matter at hand needs to be based on fact. You either can or cannot travel to certain places. Who handled what disaster in what way is completely irrelevant - and quite frankly, belittling to the excellent work that Richard has been doing in establishing the facts (about cross border travel). Even more irrelevant is what is written in what paper. Quite simply every media outlet bends the "facts" (used in its loosest sense) to it's own ends. To get anywhere near to a balanced view on what's going on from the media requires reading/watching several different sources. Almost none of them put any context around what they write.

Keep it up Richard and don't let the b@st@rds get you down (or wind you up).

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

or you could try keeping your left wing sniping bullsh*t out of a car forum :) and a thread for a trip that you aren't involved with.

Or you could take your head out of your  **** and look at the reality of the travel situation (because of the demonstrably incompetent handling of CV19) and stop pretending it's somehow different because you want it to be ? 

Just sayin' 

Edited by GaryH

Enough already.  Lets draw a line.

Or the sheriff will.

I like Mark and Gary and call both of them friends and have many happy shared car experiences with both.  I am guilty of piling in as well.  Sorry all and back to business as usual.

Here is a picture of 2 kittens :) 

kittens.jpg.cd883bfde39eeda7ae7faf2833deaeda.jpg

Even better here is a picture of a road.  And yes, its on route.

gerlos.jpg.28dd567bad0986be78d2dda2cf28942a.jpg

Edited by Richard Bernau
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RivieraBob said:

Wow! You've chosen to link two posts out of timeline to suit your narrative - how very Grauniad! Surely you can see that Mark's comment was against the latter somewhat inflammatory post.

That genuinely wasn't clear to me as the initial reaction from MJ was to the first post.  My bad.

Edited by Richard Bernau

1 hour ago, GaryH said:

(because of the demonstrably incompetent handling of CV19)  

Gary,  three months ago, at the start of this crisis you were quoting "facts" surrounding the UK's grossly inferior intensive care bed capacity in comparison with its EU neighbours, and telling us all how an NHS overload meltdown scenario was just a few weeks away ("a la Italy" but significantly worse).

Conclusion -  One or other or probably both of the following are true,

• Your doomsday forecasts and predictions are not to be taken very seriously  (you are developing form on this - Brexit?)
  • The government is not quite as absolutely incompetent as you believe/hope is true/would like us all to believe

To get the thread back to something car related then thought this might cheer you up Gary :whistling:

boris-johnson-listing-2020-large.jpg.76337292a3f2ce653df4d36aec1d971e.jpg

• Haha 1

TC - are you seriously trying to defend this governments CV19 record (which is indefensible IMHO just for the record) in my Alps trip thread?  Take it somewhere else mate. And don’t start on your Brexit defence till we we have left the transition period either.  BTW I am still waiting for the sunlit uplands I was promised. 

The following posts prove the point that none of us should try putting any politics B*llocks on here. It’s an enthusiasts forum for a great car and I come on here to escape comments like Gary’s so it p*sses me off no end to have to read it, and it’s certainly not the first time. Keep your toxic agenda to yourself or vent off on social media. 

• Like 1