Tea Boy's Massive Rod

Once I get into the roof with the grinder, it will be sh!t or bust, that is for sure.

You are more confident with this than I am, that's for sure. Good job for me that when the right car came along it happend to be a non sunroof one!

I do not like the Idea of swaged edges and overlapping joints. I just isn't proper, is it?

I agree with you that joggled edges just aren't right for exterior metal and in my experience it's much harder to avoid distortion on a large panel with an overlapped joint, although I don't really know why this is. This is a great project.

David

Once I get into the roof with the grinder, it will be sh!t or bust, that is for sure. :o

:lol:

OMG! :o

Jevvy has competition. I was worried about breaking into a rust bubble in my wing to use touch up paint, this is serious stuff and good luck. keep the pics coming as this thread will be tracked by many a curious reader. :signs118:

I never got a look at the car this weekend, family duties and gardening took priority.

Long day at work yesterday but was looking to get something done today.

Sadly it wasn't to be as I developed toothache last night. The pain was indescribable :o So today was spent getting down in the mouth. I have been prodded, poked and X-rayed. The pills have eased the pain a little now but I have got to suffer until next week when they are going to pull it out.

After a day like that i needed to smash something up.

I could not be bothered to dig out the stihl saw as it is well buried in the shed so with a combination of the 5'' and 9'' grinders I chopped up this

S7301096.jpg

Which ended up like this

S7301097.jpg

But it yielded this bit of treasure

S7301098.jpg

I have to say that even with this bit it is not going to be plain sailing.

When I eventually get around to doing some real work on it you will be able to see why.

Right, where is that clove oil.

I ask myself if is this to become the most pillaged shell on IB?!

(Edit: meaning the donor vehicle as opposed to the Teamobile...)

I know what you mean, Simon.

That 993 has given us both some good bits.

donorvehiclescuttle.JPG

Notice no painter's sig on this, robots don't do autographs. ;)

Are LHD and RHD wiper spigot locations the same on the 993? Don't know the answer myself and for sure the holes in that one look pretty central but it might be worth checking before you cut your scuttle out and find out the hard way that there's a difference....

Pull the tooth next week????? Why on earth next week? Sounds like today would not have been soon enough! Regardless, you must be a tough one. I don't think I could have tackled even a minor chore with a toothache.

Are LHD and RHD wiper spigot locations the same on the 993?

Dude the holes are in the same place but, as I'm sure you know, the wiper motors for LHD & RHD are mirror images of each other. The motor sits at the driver's side on both.

Pull the tooth next week????? Why on earth next week?

I don't think I could have tackled even a minor chore with a toothache.

Dentistry is in a sorry state over here, Alan. You are lucky if you can get one at all.

Chopping that scrap up took my mind off the pain for a little while. ;)

Dentistry is in a sorry state over here, Alan. You are lucky if you can get one at all.

Chopping that scrap up took my mind off the pain for a little while. ;)

And I was half a mind to spend my retirement years in Scotland....I suppose I could fly back to the US every so often.

Anyway, great thread, soldier on!

Pull the tooth next week????? Why on earth next week?

Sounds like the brainbox has an abscess. Been there, done that: no extractions until the infection has cleared up.

I agree beating the crap outta something gets the :signs118:

I have had very little chance to get anything done, just grabbing the odd half an hour here and there so progress is frustratingly slow.

If you had a brand new very expensive 911 front wing, what would you do with it?

Nobody in the right mind would do this...

S7301114.jpg

I need to fit this bit of 944 into it, so I marked where the indicator fits with tape.

S7301115.jpg

Then you have to go at it with the grinder berore you get chance to change your mind.

S7301117.jpg

So you can adjust the new bit so the curve matches the wing.

S7301116.jpg

Then trim out the hole so it is a snug fit. This is holding itself in place, no tape or magnets etc. It is all done with smoke and mirrors.

S7301119.jpg

Just needs welding in now and a bit of fettling.

When I get chance.

That's a cracking job TB.

Why couldn't the Porsche designers think of something like that on the IB in the first place - could shave off another 0.0012secs off. :huh:

A set of clear lenses and you wouldn't know they were there.

Really looking forward to the next installment.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

Fantastic - what do you use to get the final cut so neat and such a perfect match for the piece being let in?

Scribe around the new bit, cut the hole undersize with the disc then trim with powerfile

sabdka900e.jpg

Curved corners with a sanding drum on my B&D Dremmel replica

_52346_128280.jpg

A bit at a time and keep trying it. Finished off with hand files.

You can see a black line around the patch. This is felt tip so that the scriber mark shows up better

S7301119.jpg

Very subtle little mod there tea boy.

I like the idea of doing things which you would only notice if you knew. Almost as if it was done by the factory.

whats wrong with using your arms as Indicators TB ?

When we getting an update on the tin top shannigans ?

I have run out of argon.

I am thinking that I should prep it all up and get you to weld it in for me ;)

it is in. Still needs a bit more fettling, but it is getting there.

S7301122.jpg

It still sticks out a bit, but only half as much.

S7301120.jpg