So I bought a tool kit and this came with it. 3.2 Carrera

Busybee

Exciting Porsche weekend. North Wales run on Saturday in my SC (which was superb - thanks again for organising Dave) and went to see @fat fuchs on Sunday to view, test and buy his gorgeous 1984 Carrera 3.2. Thanks A for making it fun and sharing your knowledge. Appreciated buddy.

The car. All original, never restored, messed with or molested 3.2 sunroof coupe. The doors just click into place!

Here’s an excerpt from FF’s description;

“celebrity ownership (Robin Scott of M Pop Muzik). Genuine non-sport coupe with the mileage now at 79400 all backed up with MOT's etc. It had spoilers fitted in the 90's at a main dealer which i've just removed but I still have them. History is superb and the previous owner had the car for over a decade. Colour is Light Bronze Metallic. All the inner wings are perfect.

Interior is just immaculate with all original carpets and trim. No cut outs for aftermarket speakers etc.

Original tele-dial alloy wheels.

All books, manuals, compressor and jack”

The car was just as good in the flesh. It even has that new car smell inside. Like freshly trimmed leather! 

Few age related marks here and there, spoiler holes to sort out on the engine lid and front valance. Fresh air blower needs sorting. Needs new tyres and a good service. Gear shift lineage needs tinkering, fettling and it needs the shift stick putting back to standard. Someone put a short shift kit on it a couple of decades ago and bodged it. I just want this one to be kept totally original. 

So I bought her! Woohoo!

Drive home (180 miles) was a mixture of 70 and 50mph speed limit motorways then the “I’m so spoiled” Welsh A and B roads. She drove faultlessly. The engine is a peach. Pulls really well with plenty of torque. You don’t have to drop down a cog as much as my 3.0SC. It just picks up its skirts and goes from low down. I’m trying to keep the revs below 4k for a while on A’s advice. She’s been sat a while and although all new fluids etc, think it’s good to just let everything get into the heat cycle thing again, loosen up and bed in. I’ve given it a couple of blats to 5k just to test her out and no drama, she just keeps pulling with more on tap. FF fitted new Dansk stainless heat exchangers and back box and she sounds lovely. 

She’s just gorgeous. My wife approves lol. 

Last night, I just couldn’t resist another trip out “to get petrol” babes 😃.  It’s 20 miles each way to get the good stuff for me and the tank was still half full from the trip back but what the hell. Good excuse right lol. Again, she pulls beautifully. 

My initial thoughts;

The engine is very different from my 3.0SC. The SC is buzzy in that it loves to rev. The 3.2 has more power and more torque. Will still rev up nicely but it’s not as much drama. Time will tell which I prefer long term. 

Suspension. My 3.0 has bilsteins and the 3.2 has koni shocks. I prefer the bilsteins. The konis are much softer. This might have something to do with 15” wheels and taller sidewall tyres on the 3.2. My sc has 16” Fuchs. But I think I prefer a firmer, sportier ride. Could this be a non sport thing I wonder? I’ll check everything through and maybe change the shocks out at some point. I might look for a good set of Fuchs to use and enjoy so I can keep the original fitment teledials pristine. 

Gearbox. Not a fan of the short shift kit. Used to the long throw and I like it. Will be going back to stock. 

Brakes. FF said there was some binding but I think the 220 miles so far have shaken that off. Probably pop New flexi hoses on and change the fluid out for a firmer pedal. Other than that good.

Only other things I might change are the steering wheel and maybe the seats. The steering wheel cause I’ve gotten used to my Prototipo in the sc and I love it. The seats because I’m spoiled with the old style turbo seats in the sc and in the 3.2, the comfort seats are beautiful and gorgeously trimmed but offer far less support and give hot back syndrome (it was a hot day to be fair lol). Will of course keep all the original bits if I change anything. 

Well, what a car weekend. Here’s a few pics to remind me one day. By the way, we’ve nick named the 3.2 Shirley (because of gold finger lol). My wife hates it but it’s kind of stuck! 

One last thing, apologies to @norfolkboy for pipping you to the post on the purchase. Next one is for you 👍

E47E5E56-3ED6-4652-8DE8-8EC6344BCECB.jpeg

BCA6FC59-013B-4869-9EA7-D8F60C4EB4F7.jpeg

D585F898-9B33-4E4F-81C1-66B626F4DF8C.jpeg

44D84383-F9B1-4DC5-B070-DCEDA83AA4B0.jpeg

D5EFE984-C622-4737-875C-F469BBACF662.jpeg

C48EF61B-6F77-4E03-ACAB-EB30F02955AA.jpeg

27FEF6F5-08E8-4046-B1F3-EA3D84C4B704.jpeg

5BBB9428-2BEE-40A1-B2FC-4829ABB4122B.jpeg

6C94043B-F5A7-4909-94AC-01B693935D4C.jpeg

Lovely sounding car and yes its well documented that the 3.2 isn't as revy as an SC. 

But I believe if you fit a sports clutch and get rid of the big rubber donut thingy it helps.

Enjoy  :rally:

Nice move Haith (I was thinking about buying!)

Spec on the car for you;

Vehicle Identification No. WP0ZZZ91ZES102205
Model Carrera Coupe
Date of production  
Year 1984
Sales type 911331
Engine Code 93020
Transmission Code  
Axle drive  
Equipment  
Roof color  
Carpet color code  
Exterior color / Paint Code /
Seat combination no.  
Number of Z-Orders

020 Speedometer with two scales mph-km/h
  058 Impact absorbers, front and rear
  061 Version for Great Britain
  240 Version for countries having
inferior fuel qualities
  261 Door mirror - flat - passenger's side,
electrically adjustable and heatable
  323 Sticker without ESE regs
  425 Rear window wiper
  441 radiopreinstallation
  466 Rear fog
  492 Headlamps for left-hand traffic
  568 Tinted glass
  650 Electrical sliding roof

2 hours ago, Beaky said:

Lovely sounding car and yes its well documented that the 3.2 isn't as revy as an SC. 

But I believe if you fit a sports clutch and get rid of the big rubber donut thingy it helps.

Enjoy  :rally:

Thanks Chris. Yes, have heard that too. It's true. Less revvy but more poke. I googled rubber donut thingy but no joy 🤣

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

Liking that Haith!  Teledials rock

Just ripe for a 964 forward-date, job jobbed

Thanks Shirish. Calling the teledials :D. Forward date! No way. This one stays stock as stock gets. Well, except for steering wheel and maybe shocks and seats. 

57 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Nice move Haith (I was thinking about buying!)

Spec on the car for you;

Vehicle Identification No. WP0ZZZ91ZES102205
Model Carrera Coupe
Date of production  
Year 1984
Sales type 911331
Engine Code 93020
Transmission Code  
Axle drive  
Equipment  
Roof color  
Carpet color code  
Exterior color / Paint Code /
Seat combination no.  
Number of Z-Orders

020 Speedometer with two scales mph-km/h
  058 Impact absorbers, front and rear
  061 Version for Great Britain
  240 Version for countries having
inferior fuel qualities
  261 Door mirror - flat - passenger's side,
electrically adjustable and heatable
  323 Sticker without ESE regs
  425 Rear window wiper
  441 radiopreinstallation
  466 Rear fog
  492 Headlamps for left-hand traffic
  568 Tinted glass
  650 Electrical sliding roof

Thanks Matt. Really appreciate that. Think I need a CoA from PCGB. Be nice to know all the originally ordered spec. Stereo isn't original I think (CD in 84? - surely laser disc back then lol

Ahh you got that gorgeous Targa mate. Swap ya for a 912E project also in ivory white?

Next one A sells, it'll be pistols at dawn to decide the owner lol. 

I need a set of burgundy floor mats. I'll have a look on your site :)

23 minutes ago, Type911 said:

We do now have the burgundy floor mats although they arent on our site

Thanks matt. Can you have them scripted with Carrera or 911? Any photo's? Looking for a close match to the ones I have. 

18 minutes ago, 16vjay said:

Looks like you've got rid of the Fischer C-Box cassette holders.  Were they an original fitment?

I spotted the cassette holder in the older photos too.  I quite like the cubby to be honest. Will ask @fat fuchs if he has it or if it was removed before. I am looking to keep her really original but there has to be a few creature comforts. Guess as long it can go back in. Porsche classic stereo. Mmmhhh :)

19 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I spotted the cassette holder in the older photos too.  I quite like the cubby to be honest. Will ask @fat fuchs if he has it or if it was removed before. I am looking to keep her really original but there has to be a few creature comforts. Guess as long it can go back in. Porsche classic stereo. Mmmhhh :)

Afraid they went to Bedfordshire District Council re-cycling centre a while ago apart from 1 of them...internals damaged beyond repair sadly Haith. All that Pop Muzik usage I imagine.

Cheers

A

31 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Looks awesome BB, good buy

Thanking you.

26 minutes ago, fat fuchs said:

Afraid they went to Bedfordshire District Council re-cycling centre a while ago apart from 1 of them...internals damaged beyond repair sadly Haith. All that Pop Muzik usage I imagine.

Cheers

A

Lol I expect so. Overuse of all those tapes. I want a gadget that plays Pop, Pop Musik every time I open the door lol 

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Thanks matt. Can you have them scripted with Carrera or 911? Any photo's? Looking for a close match to the ones I have. 

Actually, after looking closer at your pics I dont have a match that I would be happy with, sorry!

11 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Actually, after looking closer at your pics I dont have a match that I would be happy with, sorry!

No probs Matt. Thanks for looking. Is it the wine set you have? Sure someone, somewhere will have them. 

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

No probs Matt. Thanks for looking. Is it the wine set you have? Sure someone, somewhere will have them. 

Great purchase.  Flatlid and teledials - what's not to like? :signs85:  If only it had been a Targa too ;) I ordered my burgundy/wine footwell carpets from Southbound, came through much more quickly than expected, got lucky I guess.  I assume you are after overmats not the carpet so will depend on how you want the interior to look.

Kevin

2 minutes ago, Fuchs915 said:

Great purchase.  Flatlid and teledials - what's not to like? :signs85:  If only it had been a Targa too ;) I ordered my burgundy/wine footwell carpets from Southbound, came through much more quickly than expected, got lucky I guess.  I assume you are after overmats not the carpet so will depend on how you want the interior to look.

Kevin

Cheers Kevin. Matt beat me to the Targa ;)

Yup, the overmats. Has 3 out of 4 at the moment. The all important drivers side is there but I'm making my wife pop a bit of carpet in before she's allowed in the passenger seat lol. 

Looking to keep it as stock as possible. The overmats in there are very close to the burgundy colour of the carpets. 

Item number 2, that thing protruding from the clutch plate is the heavy rubber thingy donut which you eliminate with a sports clutch.

I'm sure one of our learned friends on here will explain what it is 

image.thumb.png.3e50f1b8e61cfc0a2ba1c1caa427a461.png

56 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Item number 2, that thing protruding from the clutch plate is the heavy rubber thingy donut which you eliminate with a sports clutch.

Not applicable to a 915 car, including 3.2s up to MY '86, it's a G50 thing!

2009184528_915clutch.jpg.c9a2ebd82c818e29fa8bc82154668530.jpg

A sports clutch still makes an improvement as it has a lighter alloy cover rather than steel.

And please remember, reviness is only really material when you are are not in gear/between gears. Take an SC and a 3.2 on the same road in the same gear (with the same overall gearing and weight) and floor it and the 3.2 will reach higher revs soonest.

Mark

Love this forum, you learn something every time you log on :D

The only remaining question is what does it do, counter weight, anti vibration device?