Steering column top bearing

tea boy

Gary, my steering felt fine straight after fitting the bush/insert. The existing nylon sleeve had broken down into multiple fragments at the steering wheel end which I just blew/vacuumed out. The remainder of the nylon sleeve seemed to just push out into the column (where does it go?) very easily even before I offered up the new bush.

The new bush was very tight and took quite a spirited "drift" to fit.

Why dont you use the set screws to withdraw and see if there is still any interference - i.e. remains of old bearing sleeve causing an issue.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How chewed up was your old bearing Lewis ? Did you remove any of the old one before installing Mitch's nylon bearing ?

How long did you leave it in there before deciding to remove it ? Did it loosen up at all during that time ?

ps Picked up the harness bar from Jev's, cheers.

I didn't use one of those, I just tried to bang a new bearing in over the top. It didn't go in very far and I think I buggered the upper face of the bearing trying to bang it home.

I didn't use one of those, I just tried to bang a new bearing in over the top. It didn't go in very far and I think I buggered the upper face of the bearing trying to bang it home.

ah ok.

Gary, my steering felt fine straight after fitting the bush/insert. The existing nylon sleeve had broken down into multiple fragments at the steering wheel end which I just blew/vacuumed out. The remainder of the nylon sleeve seemed to just push out into the column (where does it go?) very easily even before I offered up the new bush.

The new bush was very tight and took quite a spirited "drift" to fit.

Why dont you use the set screws to withdraw and see if there is still any interference - i.e. remains of old bearing sleeve causing an issue.

That's the thing TC, we couldn't see any pieces of the white nylon sleeve, just a thin sliver of the greenish 'o-ring' type material next to the steering shaft (most of which we removed).

Edit: Jev's just explained that the ring section of the white plastic sleeve is on the underside of the bearing, not on the top (where I was expecting to find it - :doh2:)

Edited by GaryH

Fitted the Mitch Leland steering bearing yesterday

It has however made the steering heavy, resulting in the wheel not wanting to self centre.

I told you to do it properly you tart. :rolleyes:

My steering was just super because I didn't do a bodge job. :whistling:

Obviously my steering is now seized up along with everything else on the car as it has been off the road for so long. :D

Found the problem. There's a height clearance issue between the bushing and the Momo hub, resulting in contact between the two.

When I took the wheel off the bushing had a circular score mark all the way round with nylon swarf in the steering column cowl. Tried drifting the bushing in further which helped, the wheel partially self-centres now but not completely. Will check the bottom of Momo hub to see if there are any high spots that are fouling the top of bushing.

So was everyone elses who used the Mitch Leland bushing. I'm just lucky I guess ;)

Edited by GaryH

I told you to do it properly you tart. :rolleyes:

Filed the top of the bushing down past the Momo hub interference groove and now it's perfick :ani_clapping:

My car now has this problem, think it was from too many corners during our Mill Miglia tour. In fact I would go as far as saying either Carlo or Northy made me wear mine out :whistling:

TB other than the bearing can you remember what other parts you needed to buy as I want to do a 'proper job' on mine

Edited by World Citizen

TB other than the bearing can you remember what other parts you needed to buy as I want to do a 'proper job' on mine

The bearing and the shear bolts which hold the steering column on.

My car now has this problem, think it was from too many corners during our Mill Miglia tour. In fact I would go as far as saying either Carlo or Northy made me wear mine out :whistling:

I don't understand this 'proper job' statement ? The bearing has not failed, the white plastic bushing on the inside of the actual bearing is what has failed. All Mitch's 'bushing' (not a bearing) does is replace the failed factory bushing with self lubricating nylon bushing (which appears to be a far superior solution than the white plastic factory one) ?

You have replaced a broken part with a superior part (the bearing is still fine). What's the 'bodge' about it, seriously ?

I don't understand this 'proper job' statement ? The bearing has not failed, the white plastic bushing on the inside of the actual bearing is what has failed. All Mitch's 'bushing' (not a bearing) does is replace the failed factory bushing with self lubricating nylon bushing (which appears to be a far superior solution than the white plastic factory one) ?

You have replaced a broken part with a superior part (the bearing is still fine). What's the 'bodge' about it, seriously ?

I didn't mean to touch on a nerve there Captain Grunpy Pants :P

When I referred to a 'proper job' I was comparing it to the bodge of hammering a new bearing over the old bearing not the fitting of the nylon bush.

I didn't mean to touch on a nerve there Captain Grunpy Pants :P

When I referred to a 'proper job' I was comparing it to the bodge of hammering a new bearing over the old bearing not the fitting of the nylon bush.

:lol:

Was a pop at TeaBoy Steve, not you.

I don't know why you would hammer a new bearing over the old (perfectly good) one when simply replacing the nylon bush cures the problem ?

The only bit I dont like is not knowing exactly where the debris and remains of the original sleeve end up. I guess theres plenty of space to fall into and that if a problem is going to happen it will happen straight away. My sleeve fitted perfectly and the problem was sorted. Really can't see the sense in a full strip down unless other problems (i.e. other than a perished plastic sleeve) are suspected.

Really can't see the sense in a full strip down unless other problems (i.e. other than a perished plastic sleeve) are suspected.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

As a follow up, Mitch Leland (the guy on Pelican who designed the bushing) has offered to machine me a shorter bushing and send it to me for free. Can't say fairer than that :ani_clapping:

• 3 months later...

Looks like my bush has failed (!) - sudden play in the steering wheel on the way to the office today suggesting something has given way. The play is mainly vertical.

Those who have gone down the "bash a new bearing in over the old one" route - is all holding up okay as this is the quickest option. Like the idea of the Mitch Leland option, especially if he can do a Momo friendly version but there's the time delay of waiting for it from the states.

Clearly doing a "proper" job of removing everything and rebuilding isn't an option ! :P

Mines still holding out 5 years on. No reason for it not to either as it sits in the same location as the original as it just pushes the old out of the way further down the column. Obviously there is a limit to how many times you can do this, so hope that your's hasn't had this done already.

Clearly doing a "proper" job of removing everything and rebuilding isn't an option ! :P

I went down this route and am still waiting to see how much I get stung for :(

I drove across Europe with mine all loose, it reminded me of the in car scenes when someone is driving down a straight road in an old American film :rally:

Had mine done earlier this week. The guy I use managed to remove the worn bearing by.......

Taking off the plastic steering column cover and removing both the indicator and wiper stalkes before drilling the bearing, then using a centre punch to break it so he could then remove all the ball bearings using a long magnet. He then made a special tool to go down between the stering column and what was left of the bearing to hook it out before putting the new bearing in place.

It saved time and so I saved money. :D

• 2 years later...

I noticed an alarming amount of up and down movement at my steering wheel at the weekend - something I was dreading having read TB's original 'how to' post on here. Having re-read it with all the additional info., and following the advice of Canford Classics, I went for the greased 928 sleeve solution (although I can't see how it can wear the column because the bearing inner race rotates with the column and sleeve while the outer remains fixed). After picking out all the bits of old nylon sleeve lying at the top of the column, I cleaned the gap out with a feeler gauge, sliding it down as far as it could go to make sure the new sleeve could be driven fully home.

From disconnecting to reconnecting the battery, the entire job took 30 minutes and the difference is night and day. No more up and down movement, steering wheel wobble at speed greatly reduced and one I wasn't expecting, occasional 'binding' at the wheel when turning at low speed eliminated. The steering is no heavier than before,

• 1 year later...

My car has just had the nylon/plastic insert fail as well so I've done lots of reading here and on Pelican and Rennlist.

In the short term I've done the "sleeve cut from the top of a rattle can" fix.

I think the problem with the metal sleeve fix arises if the top bearing is binding or even seized. If it rotates smoothly all should be fine.

There's a good thread on pelican about making a steering shaft removal tool using pieces of electric conduit to pull the shaft out without removing the column from the car. This allows for replacement of one or both bearings.

My car has just had the nylon/plastic insert fail as well so I've done lots of reading here and on Pelican and Rennlist.

In the short term I've done the "sleeve cut from the top of a rattle can" fix.

I think the problem with the metal sleeve fix arises if the top bearing is binding or even seized. If it rotates smoothly all should be fine.

There's a good thread on pelican about making a steering shaft removal tool using pieces of electric conduit to pull the shaft out without removing the column from the car. This allows for replacement of one or both bearings.

Hi sopor do you have a link for thread