3.2 Owners say Hello

porkersc

Hi all, 

New owner, having wanting to scratch that air-cooled for many a year - and finally succumbed. 

GP White from 1985 , 915 box, with 110k miles, acquired by me in October. 

Jobs so far; new cam oil lines, refurb engine fan, rebuilt AFM, recon ECU (lots of dry solder joints, and more preventative maintenance), new braided brake hoses, injectors cleaned, CV boots, new fuel pump. Mostly for reliability and more to do but usable as is, and nothing major. 

Already booked for solo road trip to Angouleme in September to help out a mate racing an MGA. Likely to do Spa and Nordschleife soon also :)

UK car spent most it's early life in London, then Colchester, and now with me Wirral, Cheshire. 

Nice friendly forum 👍

Pic from local C&C Liverpool.

Tony

20181028_210921.jpg

Sorry to hear about your affliction Tony and that you have surrcummed to the possible fatal Classic Porsche disease! Anyway, you are in good company as your illness progresses, unfortunately the cure is varied and can re-occur so be warned! I have on the odd occasion, contemplated selling the Turbo, but after much hand-ringing and a spirited drive, all thoughts are banished and after a couple of stiff three-fingered whiskies, sanity returned! I sometimes just sit in the garage with a glass of MacAllans and just look at it, kinda sad I know but I’m not alone! (There are others on this esteemed site who do the same, but daren’t admit to it)! .......welcome to the ‘Factory’........it’s a very knowledgeable bunch of mis-fits with a wealth of support and technical expertise. 

Regards,

David

Thanks for the friendly welcome, certainly is a very warming forum to newbies and dedicated owners. Some lovely looking vehicles owned by enthusiasts here, and also a mine of information available to all which is great. 

Certainly no newcomer to classics, own a tricked out 1967 Sunbeam Tiger (20 odd years) and relatively recently a 1973 Datsun 240z imported from California, but the 911 brings a very different smile after a 'spirited' drive. Just annoyed that I didn't scratch that itch sooner!!! LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Going into the second year with my IB, don't know what took me so long to join this forum!

UK 89' slate blue metallic 3.2, managed to find one with 75k miles on the clock - guilty for 10% of that in the past year ;).  A few mods already done: new clutch, lightened flywheel, SW chip, SSI exhaust and heat exchanger, underside resealed and some other bits and bobs to sort out an already excellent car.  Currently pondering over some other small external mods including refurbing the Fuchs, headlights upgrade, Sebring Vitaloni mirrors and paint corrections / rust here and there.  The most important thing that I need to do before summer - fix the damn flapper box 🤦‍♂️... 

Justin

3.thumb.jpg.7710e65be195650729c247655ad6865a.jpg

On 12/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, targatales said:

Hi everyone.

I've always looked on this forum over the years, but thought I should finally join the community.

I've owned my 1988 Black/Tan 3.2 Carrera Targa for nearly 9 wonderful years. 

Pleasure to meet you all.

R

IMG_7125.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

2013-08-22 12.07.41.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

thats what mine looked like then the rust broke through 😥

2 hours ago, V4man said:

Really nice, love to here how you find the modifications. 

I have just refurbed my fuchs and gone for a polished finish with the satin black

DSC_0029.JPG

i went polished on my repros like em shiney 

10 hours ago, Astro said:

Hi all,

Going into the second year with my IB, don't know what took me so long to join this forum!

UK 89' slate blue metallic 3.2, managed to find one with 75k miles on the clock - guilty for 10% of that in the past year ;).  A few mods already done: new clutch, lightened flywheel, SW chip, SSI exhaust and heat exchanger, underside resealed and some other bits and bobs to sort out an already excellent car.  Currently pondering over some other small external mods including refurbing the Fuchs, headlights upgrade, Sebring Vitaloni mirrors and paint corrections / rust here and there.  The most important thing that I need to do before summer - fix the damn flapper box 🤦‍♂️... 

Justin

3.thumb.jpg.7710e65be195650729c247655ad6865a.jpg

Welcome Justin. Look forward to reading more about your mods.

3 hours ago, V4man said:

Really nice, love to here how you find the modifications. 

I have just refurbed my fuchs and gone for a polished finish with the satin black

DSC_0029.JPG

The clutch was a must change for me when I got the car, hence the relatively easy decision of changing the flywheel at the same time.  The lightweight flywheel does make rev matching and changing gears at lower speed a tad more difficult.  Having now done it and felt it, I don’t think I would have done it as I live in London and low speed driving remains a big part of the daily.  The advantages are not that pronounced.  I won’t recommend changing it on its own, not worth the time. If you live out in the country, that’s a different question as I also love the ease of rev matching at higher speed.  The tac needle literally jumps straight up.  

The Steve Wong chip makes the car less torque-y at low revs, but makes the high revs just that bit more special.  From 1-3k revs, the engine is sufficiently sublime to pull in city traffic, from 3-4k it starts waking up, and 4K onwards, here comes rock and roll!  I love it, totally recommend it, probably best bang for the buck as well. 

As for the exhaust, it’s ultimately down to personal preference.  The decision was made easy for me as the stock one was busted.  From what I found, there’s not much difference in terms of noticeable performance on the road.  It is, after all, the noise.  And I like the old school noise from the SSI together with the high rev howl of the engine.  

Loving the Fuchs on yours, but I think I’ll go annodised rim and black center.  May look for another set of coloured hub caps as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, swift911 said:

Hi to both you newcomers, welcome to IB. Great looking cars in very different colours. 

Couldn’t help noticing the interesting Renault in the background of one of your photos targatails, you don’t see many of those.

The Clio V6 belongs to a friend of mine. A proper pocket rocket. Sounds great too!

• 2 weeks later...