Phil's 3D printing thread - IB parts ideas

Phill

1 hour ago, Type911 said:

Oh, its a front bumper trim with oil cooler holes in it!!!

Nice!

Give that man a banana!

32 minutes ago, Nige said:

Rodent bait box?

:rolleyes:

Plenty of R+D

IMG_20200830_133013.thumb.jpg.d5987701da6fe0659e7bd0fa05045886.jpg

The idea is to have it as much like the original trim piece as possible unlike the currently available fibreglass jobbies.

IMG_20200830_132319.thumb.jpg.4573867deeff534bff962aa3fde9d271.jpg

Edited by Phill

• johndglynn changed the title to Phil's 3D printing thread - IB parts ideas
On 04/08/2020 at 14:45, Phill said:

Ok, this is more challenging, should get the grey matter churning.

Ha, and I literally just bought the Rennline phone holder...

On 14/08/2020 at 14:51, karmakanix said:

I have this file for a standard momo. came out OK

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.426a3b319ed82b86a484f92067d52f9d.jpeg

Love that

• 2 weeks later...

Could a radio delete blanking plate also be used for USB socket or other gauges? 

It could have a couple of sockets to accommodate multiple devices at once, and they could be set back into the cavity to allow a discreet cover with a wire access gap at the bottom edge.

Maybe there'd even be space for a phone to be stowed in the cavity while charging?

On 15/09/2020 at 12:29, Dyaque said:

Could a radio delete blanking plate also be used for USB socket or other gauges? 

It could have a couple of sockets to accommodate multiple devices at once, and they could be set back into the cavity to allow a discreet cover with a wire access gap at the bottom edge.

Maybe there'd even be space for a phone to be stowed in the cavity while charging?

Kinda like this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303278053123 but better looking and with USB sockets inside. 

Isn’t the whole point of removing the stereo and speakers to reduce weight? Few kg there. Adding a cubby hole like an extra glove box is surely in part going the wrong way? A blank plate with a phone holder (magnetic) and a usb socket would be my preference.
I’ve kind of rigged up something using a standard faceplate panel covered in alcantara type material (already in the car) by sticking a magnet to it. Short lead to the cigar lighter socket and cause Daisy is kind of stripped out, I’ve used a little foam tape (draft excluder) to create a shelf to help support the weight of the phone. Works perfectly and looks like a screen once in place. Be even more perfect if it had a wireless charger backing to it and the shelf was formed in the faceplate material. 

I'll take a pic next time (I’ll need to borrow a phone! 😂) I have it set up. But this gives you an idea of the setup. Get on it Phill. You’ll sell lots I’m sure 

57AF9D76-860E-4224-A65E-95071E279CAF.jpeg

Edited by Busybee

The problem with a blanking plate is that I think everyone's aperture is a little bit different. I bought one for a fiver and modified it to fit mine. It was a little more involved in mine as I do have a cubby hole in place of the radio and a mount for a tablet connected to the dash.

The blanking plates available are quite a good match for the finish of our dashboards. As we have see previously there are loads of usb charging ports available and they are quite small and discreet. Add a standard phone mount to the blanking plate and you are there. There is no market for a custom made alternative especially when it would be considerably more expensive than using off the shelf parts. Not to mention that the vast majority of people like having a radio.

It's a tricky business this 3d printing, I created a bumper oil cooler vent as I thought that would be popular but no-one has been interested, even those who who suggested it.

Keep going........

3 hours ago, Phill said:

It's a tricky business this 3d printing, I created a bumper oil cooler vent as I thought that would be popular but no-one has been interested

Are you seeking design input from interested parties before committing to execution?  

2 hours ago, SP72 said:

Are you seeking design input from interested parties before committing to execution?  

No not really. I design what I would be happy to put on my own car. Consultation rarely gets anywhere in anything. Too many conflicting ideas and opinions never achieve anything whether it be IB 3d printed parts, building design or anything really. If it were a one off for someone then of course what the client wants......

7 hours ago, Phill said:

The problem with a blanking plate is that I think everyone's aperture is a little bit different. I bought one for a fiver and modified it to fit mine. It was a little more involved in mine as I do have a cubby hole in place of the radio and a mount for a tablet connected to the dash.

The blanking plates available are quite a good match for the finish of our dashboards. As we have see previously there are loads of usb charging ports available and they are quite small and discreet. Add a standard phone mount to the blanking plate and you are there. There is no market for a custom made alternative especially when it would be considerably more expensive than using off the shelf parts. Not to mention that the vast majority of people like having a radio.

It's a tricky business this 3d printing, I created a bumper oil cooler vent as I thought that would be popular but no-one has been interested, even those who who suggested it.

Keep going........

I'd like a blanking plate. With a 911 logo on it and a nice hole for a usb type thing, decent phone mount. I might make one from carbon plate. I deffo need a shelf on  mine as the phone is heavy and without it, it falls off under hard acceleration.

Don't suppose you have a scale drawing of your cup holder I could pilfer and print? I'd like one of those in Carbon plate too. 

14 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Don't suppose you have a scale drawing of your cup holder I could pilfer and print? I'd like one of those in Carbon plate too. 

What you could do is buy one and draw round it........

Phil, new idea.

I need to repaint the black centres on four 16" Fuchs.

Would it be possible to print an outer ring to mask off the anodised rim?  I remember you used to be able to buy a mask for the MG Rostyle wheels.

I'm thinking the inner edge would need to be very fine to really act as a barrier seal to paint.  Doable?

If that worked, then something similar for pre-IB wheels may also be useful, although I think many people use the paint pouring technique for them.

Cheers,

Al.