Oh Dear. What have I done...

chodosh

I was invited to display the supersport at the London classic car show this weekend which I thought would be pretty cool. Having recently bought a Rupes Bigfoot detailing machine I have been using it on the Porsche along with some Zaino polish to get the car looking nice and sharp. 

Guy comes up to me yesterday and without too much thought, explains that he has to have the car and has today, sent me a deposit. 

As a Tottenham fan, I kind of liken it to Daniel Levy when he says "my best players are never for sale" yet accepts an offer from Real Madrid when they come asking. 

I am definitely having sellers remorse, as I know how much effort I have put into owning and restoring the car, but at the same time, personal circumstances means the money will be put to good use. It was a fair offer and one that clearly tipped the "should I walk away from selling the car at that price" but I suppose he knows over the long term he will never lose money on it. 

What do I replace it with? I don't know yet.... 996 Turbo? BMW Z3 M3, SL55 AMG... I want to own something that I can enjoy, but not lose money on in the long term. With prices where they are, I suppose it will be difficult for anyone to enter (or re-enter) the air cooled market unless things turn pear shaped and the market and economy really tanks. This is the second Porsche I've owned and IB has been a really wonderful experience, especially meeting like minded petrol heads on here! 

Here are some snaps I took yesterday - the best the car has ever looked...

P1040295.JPG

P1040296.JPG

P1040297.JPG

P1040326.JPG

P1040302.JPG

Oh my lord, I couldn’t go to the show , but my son did and said there was a lovely 911 there ...yours..

as a Spurs fan you must be used to disappointment but you gotta do what you gotta do as long as the money is as stupid as Gareth Bale plus £100 mill for Eden Hazzard to Chelsea .youll miss it, and regret it but ... not too late to change your mind.

its only a car 

Graham

Personally

1) I wouldn’t have agreed to the sale without a replacement in mind or confirmed

2) none of the cars you’ve mentioned would provide the same experience, again IMO

What about a BMW e46 M3 CSL or e30 M3?

Appreciate all the compliments, I'm not an OCD person, but the 911 became a bit of an obsession.

17 minutes ago, GrahamTompkins said:

Oh my lord, I couldn’t go to the show , but my son did and said there was a lovely 911 there ...yours..

as a Spurs fan you must be used to disappointment but you gotta do what you gotta do as long as the money is as stupid as Gareth Bale plus £100 mill for Eden Hazzard to Chelsea .youll miss it, and regret it but ... not too late to change your mind.

its only a car 

Graham

I have observed the market tapering off for a little while and a number of SSE's sold last year in the £40's, albeit in various states of repair so receiving what I would consider to be a serious offer, made it a pretty tough decision.

18 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Personally

1) I wouldn’t have agreed to the sale without a replacement in mind or confirmed

2) none of the cars you’ve mentioned would provide the same experience, again IMO

What about a BMW e46 M3 CSL or e30 M3?

I am fortunate that whilst I now theoretically don't own a porsche, I do have access to a number of cars belonging to a friend of mine who lets me enjoy them at my leisure. So I can still have a blast in a 964 RS, or a 993 GT2, or a 930 when I feel the need to satisfy the urge. He has an M3 EVO II (Hartage)... fun car

Now the search for a nice weekend toy that will not cost the earth over 3-5 year period and isn't your run of the mill. Toying with around £15k or jumping up to £30k for something a bit more fun. I have the suspicion if I don't buy something, the money will disappear without a trace!

Well, for something different, how about an original Lotus 7? This is mine and its very different to taking a 911 out for a spin. Obviously it works best if its not too cold, not too wet and you dont want to go too far...having said which, I drove it back to London from Middlesborough on the day I bought it and then down to Devon on the day after that.

Even just short little trips down to the supermarket feel like an adventure. It has 90ish bhp and 500kg, live axle, 4.5 inch wheels and can brake traction quite easily. Lord knows how these 300bhp caterham blokes manage! Its really simple to work on yourself as everything is really accessible and bits are either triumph or ford so a lot easier on the wallet than porsche prices.

You will get let out at every junction and make lots of new friends every time you fill up with petrol. (err...which you should do regularly as there's no fuel gauge).

Anyway, just a suggestion!

DSC_0276_zpsiw1gdqco.JPG

They say everything has a price, so think of it a payback for all the time and effort you put into this adventure, and the funds will now pave the way for the next one.

996 Turbo is a sweet thing, very usable as a daily commute or to blast from A to B, and now holding their prices. 

Just now, GrahamTompkins said:

Have a look at a Honda NSX .. once driven, you’ll be smitten, appreciating and plenty of tuneability at sensible prices unlike Porsche. 

£30k will get a great JDM car

Graham

interestingly enough, this same friend I mentioned has one of those also, LHD french car. Not driven it yet. Happy to look at LHD cars as I own a Corvette which we drive on the road occasionally.

going for a spin in a friends cayman next week. Not sure it ticks the box for holding value, but could be a good run around.

I personally would go vintage. Had a 1947 MG TC for many years, and wish that I'd never sold it. Amazing driving experience, and could hold it's own on the motorway,........not bad for for a 70-odd year motor! If funds allow, what about a vintage Bentley...or a Bugatti, as he said of Bentley....''Builds the fastest lorries in the world''! In this world of increasing restrictions on performance cars, and swinging penalties for those who dare use their performance, vintage holds many thrills and an intact licence!......Think that senile decay is setting in?.....

Regards,

David.

4 hours ago, Beaky said:

They say everything has a price, so think of it a payback for all the time and effort you put into this adventure, and the funds will now pave the way for the next one.

996 Turbo is a sweet thing, very usable as a daily commute or to blast from A to B, and now holding their prices. 

it will indeed Chris, on we march... 996 is looking a good option, or a well spec'd 997 as they're looking pretty good value at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, David Gander said:

I personally would go vintage. Had a 1947 MG TC for many years, and wish that I'd never sold it. Amazing driving experience, and could hold it's own on the motorway,........not bad for for a 70-odd year motor! If funds allow, what about a vintage Bentley...or a Bugatti, as he said of Bentley....''Builds the fastest lorries in the world''! In this world of increasing restrictions on performance cars, and swinging penalties for those who dare use their performance, vintage holds many thrills and an intact licence!......Think that senile decay is setting in?.....

Regards,

David.

I do have an attachment to wearing flat caps, but Bentley's are too big and too needy for me. Continental however is perhaps more up my street. Must look at those. I get my vintage fixes with the corvette, vintage for me also equals, petrol fumes, no wipers and a bad back after a long drive! 

12 minutes ago, OldandSlow said:

Did you respray your 1/18 scale model to match?  It looks good.

Can't say too much as I'm from Rochdale.

Oh, and my other car is a Reliant,  4 wheels, cheapest GT available today - get a GTC if you can find a good one.

I did indeed, my dad found a 1:16 model at retromobile last year and I disassembled and painted it body colour. Lots of people commented on that, I thought it was fun and will sit in the office once I have it built.

11 hours ago, David Gander said:

Regards,

David.

Hi David, definitely not a case of senile decay. I'm having all sorts of unnecessary thoughts about buying a frazer nash for similar reasons. A hooligan's hotrod from the 1920s.

How about this.... This is the chopped 32 Ford 3 window cope that my dad built in 1985 (the year I was born). He sold it and the current owner in Belgium has offered me first refusal.

Suicide doors, Flathead V8. lots of fun. Not too practical though!!!!

index.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ducktail said:

Sunbeam Tiger

(or a tuned Holbay Alpine if Tgga is too many penny)

Yes Please ! Love the Tigers... afraid they have probably escaped too far up the market to find anything at decent money but worth checking out. nice and easy to maintain also.