3.8-litre engine transplant options

Busybee

• 2 weeks later...

Trick bits from the states arrived courtesy of Felix (@sopor). Thanks Felix. Engine loom adaptor and oil pipe from Patrick Motorsport. Crank pulley puller tool on order from OPC. Getting the stuff I need lined up. Oh and got my solid state fuel pump relay also from Felix. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-16 at 09.42.32.jpeg

5 hours ago, Busybee said:

Trick bits from the states arrived courtesy of Felix (@sopor). Thanks Felix. Engine loom adaptor and oil pipe from Patrick Motorsport. Crank pulley puller tool on order from OPC. Getting the stuff I need lined up. Oh and got my solid state fuel pump relay also from Felix. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-16 at 09.42.32.jpeg

Getting closer then Haith. Look forward to your thoughts on the conversion when complete.

Cheers

A

2 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Getting closer then Haith. Look forward to your thoughts on the conversion when complete.

Cheers

A

Thanks Andrew. Will do. I did manage to order the wrong flipping converter loom mind. They only sell 2. Waiting to find out if I can use it or need to order the other one. 

Cheers

H

2 hours ago, Beaky said:

Just think with the potential of the UK going into lock down, Daisy should be up and running by mid April............ 

Be nice but with a shutdown, I won’t be able to buy parts or get Jev over 

5 hours ago, Busybee said:

Be nice but with a shutdown, I won’t be able to buy parts or get Jev over 

Easy, you and Daisy self isolation with Jev at his place for 14 days, simples..........

6 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Easy, you and Daisy self isolation with Jev at his place for 14 days, simples..........

Lol Jev & Babs might not want to be holed up in deepest darkest wales for a fortnight 

26 minutes ago, sopor said:

Reminds of that old line... first prize in a contest is a week in where-ever (in this case, Wales). 2nd prize is two weeks...

You love it here. Where men are men and sheep are frightened 

• johndglynn changed the title to 3.8-litre engine transplant options
  • 4 months later...

So, the weekend drive to Boxengasse and looking at all those very cool cars in the car park got the "what if" thoughts running again. If I could make my mind up I'd be so much happier! lol 

I really need to make use of the 3.8 lump I bought off Axel. I think it should go in Daisy! Its awesome as it is. likely be even more awesome with more power and more torque. 

I really need to put Daisy's 3.2 lump in my 912E left hooker shell and make another hotrod. 

Discuss pro's cons and put me out of my misery - please! lol 

If you agree with the above, who do you guys recommend to screw the 912 back together and rebuild the gearbox/strengthen (if needed) to take 270hp? I'm looking for a turnkey solution really. 

14 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Jeeze just do it.

Everything's reversible.....

Keep your panties on Chris. Its all just for fun :) 

34 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I like the logic behind your man maths, sounds a very reasonable plan to me

Just wait until you buy wheels for cars you don't have then you're into advanced level man math's

Funnily enough, Group 4 Campag reps for the 912 were discussed at Boxengasse 

6 minutes ago, Phill said:

Busybee       Procrastybee. :rolleyes:

I think he’s right to take his time, lots of time and money involved getting the 912 roadworthy from a shell.

911 doesn’t need the power but is ready and waiting.

1 minute ago, SP72 said:

I think he’s right to take his time, lots of time and money involved getting the 912 roadworthy from a shell.

:ani_clapping::yahoo:

2 minutes ago, SP72 said:

The question is can he face the prospect of having Daisy off the road and not being able to drive her for an indeterminate time.?

May need to seek psychological help

Just now, GrahamTompkins said:

The question is can he face the prospect of having Daisy off the road and not being able to drive her for an indeterminate time.?

May need to seek psychological help

🤣 It did nearly kill me during lockdown. I snuck in a single blast after 6 weeks in the silly hours of one morning. One of the best drives I've ever had. Nothing and I mean nothing on the roads. Bliss! 

But funnily enough, popping the engine in as a transplant is kinda of a weekends work as long as we line the ducks up right (according to @jevvy). Then its a trip to see Wayne for pops n bangs. Job done :)

The 912 is a different matter and one I'm hoping I can find someone with a good enough reputation to uphold, who'll help put it back together properly and without ripping me off 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SP72 said:

That's beautiful Shirish and a doppelganger to mine! Interior is just gorgeous. Exactly what I have in mind albeit with a thumping 3.2 in the back (or a monster 3.8 🙈). Wonder if it'll be worthwhile financially too . Can't see what that car made at close of auction. 

you would spoil the weight dynamics of a narrow body with a big lump in it. I'd stick to a snarly revving 3.0 on carbs (or maybe the 3.2) but not 3.8. Agree that the 3.8 could work nicely in the Red Baron though :)