"We go again" ....

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Ha spot on Busy!

I think all classic cars are part pleasure part pain, I've had a few ups and downs with mine over the years. You have some serious trick kit in your rebuild so bound to be the odd gremlin that needs ironing out. Might not help that you are leaving it sitting about for a few weeks at a time. I try to give my little fleet a run out each at least one day a week if I can.

Spot on both.. I think that when you use it infrequently, when you do and it’s not 100% your expectations are shattered and you become despondent very quickly..I know this from my own experience .probably worse for you having been through such a saga, but hey, it can be fixed, and most certainly don’t close the thread please Shirish.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

Ahh Shirish, don't you worry mate. Chuck a new sensor on it and get those 340+ horses singing sweet again. Monster that car of yours. They had proper development work to do on yours not just a straightforward rebuild, right. 

Niggles, part of the journey with 30+ year old cars. But get it sorted before we do our Wales outing! lol 

When are you doing the Wales run then? Missed the solstice run due to a slipped disc......AGONY!!!!

5 hours ago, R2D2 said:

When are you doing the Wales run then? Missed the solstice run due to a slipped disc......AGONY!!!!

Either 31 July or 7 August. Up for it? Shirish staying locally I think so we’ll have a full day porsching it round mid/west wales 

Either 31 July or 7 August. Up for it? Shirish staying locally I think so we’ll have a full day porsching it round mid/west wales 
I'm in date dependant - Haith you might wish to start a new thread save ambushing this Shirish record

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, flappa2 said:

I'm in date dependant - Haith you might wish to start a new thread save ambushing this Shirish record

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Great Mike. I’ll start a thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

So after a period of introspection (cue montage of me throwing stones into the sea etc) - you’ll be delighted to read i’m back to keep the IB Peoples thread running (:D..:)..:mellow:...:kickrock:)

Now where was I.......ah yes:

1. CHTS out of continuity tolerance - replaced after 13 years, with some improvement in hesitancy and removing backfires (i’m told), but still a low idle and strong smell of running rich.
  2. Call from UCC earlier today to advise Speed Sensor is showing an open circuit - Matt to the rescue (again).  Unsure if a failed SS would exhibit these faults?  Can’t recall when it was replaced, i think possibly in 2008 when i went to 3.4.  
  3. I’m running crankfire with a sensor mounted off the crank pulley, and this is within tolerance
  4. Chap on eBay is selling boxed NOS Bosch (Made in Germany) wideband O2 sensors (0258006066) for £35 delivered  (£80-120 usually) - purchased as a backup in case @Phill‘s theory proves correct (👍)
  5. Motec dongle (£200!) ordered to allow USB connectivity to a laptop and help diagnose future incidents like these - hopefully my ‘digit des saucisson’ doesn’t brick the ECU  :eusa_boohoo:.  Must remember to take a backup before unleashing my ‘unique set of skills’

I don’t like replacing parts before finding out what’s really going on, but i don’t want to cancel on the Mid-wales run either, so I’m ordering now to minimize downtime.

Hopefully its one of the items above.

Shirish, how about closing this and opening a new thread something along the lines of "bedding in and fine tuning the beast",🙂

Well it is a beast 😋 and in real terms its small tweaks and fine tuning that remains ........................👍

Or I can share my therapist with you :wacko:

13 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Shirish, how about closing this and opening a new thread something along the lines of "bedding in and fine tuning the beast",🙂

Well it is a beast 😋 and in real terms its small tweaks and fine tuning that remains ........................👍

Or I can share my therapist with you :wacko:

That’s not a bad idea Beaks.....slight problem though - I very much dislike it when people use ‘beast’ to describe a car - Akin to calling it a ‘real head turner’ 🤭 👈

Aside from the self-promotional* material on this thread, it’s generally fit for purpose.  

I’d like to change the title to ‘Done and Dusted’ at some point...but the boundaries between WIP and ‘done’ are very blurred. 

*I remember someone else who used IB as a promotional ‘vehicle’ ...

5 hours ago, SP72 said:

So after a period of introspection (cue montage of me throwing stones into the sea etc) - you’ll be delighted to read i’m back to keep the IB Peoples thread running (:D..:)..:mellow:...:kickrock:)

Now where was I.......ah yes:

1. CHTS out of continuity tolerance - replaced after 13 years, with some improvement in hesitancy and removing backfires (i’m told), but still a low idle and strong smell of running rich.
  2. Call from UCC earlier today to advise Speed Sensor is showing an open circuit - Matt to the rescue (again).  Unsure if a failed SS would exhibit these faults?  Can’t recall when it was replaced, i think possibly in 2008 when i went to 3.4.  
  3. I’m running crankfire with a sensor mounted off the crank pulley, and this is within tolerance
  4. Chap on eBay is selling boxed NOS Bosch (Made in Germany) wideband O2 sensors (0258006066) for £35 delivered  (£80-120 usually) - purchased as a backup in case @Phill‘s theory proves correct (👍)
  5. Motec dongle (£200!) ordered to allow USB connectivity to a laptop and help diagnose future incidents like these - hopefully my ‘digit des saucisson’ doesn’t brick the ECU  :eusa_boohoo:.  Must remember to take a backup before unleashing my ‘unique set of skills’

I don’t like replacing parts before finding out what’s really going on, but i don’t want to cancel on the Mid-wales run either, so I’m ordering now to minimize downtime.

Hopefully its one of the items above.

🤞

18 hours ago, SP72 said:

I’d like to change the title to ‘Done and Dusted’ at some point...but the boundaries between WIP and ‘done’ are very blurred. 

You're very correct there. Just when I thought my car was done I'm not struggling to keep the oil below 100C. Laws of unintended consequences with replacing the bumper for one with fewer holes. Now I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't include cutting some in a brand new, freshly painted steel bumper.

49 minutes ago, Kenny Senior said:

You're very correct there. Just when I thought my car was done I'm not struggling to keep the oil below 100C. Laws of unintended consequences with replacing the bumper for one with fewer holes. Now I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't include cutting some in a brand new, freshly painted steel bumper.

Ouch

What have you used cooling wise? Perhaps an Elephant racing style cooler setup would help, assuming your t-stat is opening to specs?

Dare I ask what oil you’re using?

I have a Carrera 3.2 cooler in place of the SC column one and a Mocal under the nearside wing. Both have fans fitted and in an ambient of 20C or less it runs OK unless you give it prolonged grief. In ambients of 30C and over it just can't cope. I just don't think I'm getting enough airflow through them. I'm investigating making scoop like wings to add to the sides of Henry's undertray to try to force more air up into the arches.

The other thing I've read is that aftermarket coolers have 14mm ID fittings (they do) and Porsche OE were 17mm ID, despite both having M30 threads. I'm wondering if the extra cooler and reduced size ports are causing an oil flow issue.

I tried some of that Rock Oil you touted. If anything it ran a little hotter than the Magnatec 10W-40 it had in it before (and is back in now).

10 minutes ago, Kenny Senior said:

The other thing I've read is that aftermarket coolers have 14mm ID fittings (they do) and Porsche OE were 17mm ID, despite both having M30 threads. I'm wondering if the extra cooler and reduced size ports are causing an oil flow issue.

I was going to say exactly that.

My 3.6 used to manage ok on a 3.2 oil cooler and only ever got very hot on the Le Mans trackdays but could still do 25+ min sessions before temps got too high.

You might better of without the extra cooler and restrictive pipework.

When I did my FMOC I had to stick the M30x1.5 to AN16 adaptors on a lathe to bore them out because thay had a step or shoulder that appeared to have to purpose other than to restrict the flow. Was there scope to increase the bores on your pipework? You don't need massive wall thickness.

Apologies to SP for the thread detour...

The stat is definitely opening. At hot idle I'm seeing pipe temps of 110C flow and 90C return using a cheap laser thermometer so some cooling is happening. I just don't think the little fans, barely covering half of the body of the coolers are pushing enough through them to keep it cool, at idle or on the move. The only apertures I have at the front now are the horn grills and it's not enough. Before I cut horrible looking holes in my lovely S bumper I want to try adding scoops and making sure the coolers are blocked off from the wheel section as much as possible.

As for the fittings I have considered machining them out. They are removable on the 3.2 cooler and FWIW I may as well just stick a 17mm drill bit through them. There's plenty of meat on them and I have a good bench drill. That then moves me onto the pipes and Mocal. I think the fittings on the Mocal are brazed on and I don't want to risk swarf getting in. I could take the cooler off and get a better one fabbed up. I still have the problem of the flexis which came with the Mocal and I think will have a 14mm ID too, so a visit to Pirtek will be on the cards. The front bumper will have to come off again as the pipes are routed around the brackets. 

By the time I've done I will have spent another grand and still might need to cut holes in the bumper...

Unbeknown to me, I need a special lead in addition to the dongle itself to plug into my laptop, so no diagnostics will be done.

The car drives horribly, as though it’s on 5 cylinders - stutters, low idle and still smelling rich.

Neil thinks the TPS is at fault. It doesn’t use the factory speed sensor. It has a CHTS and CPS (confirmed good), a cam position sensor - the latter not showing continuity but Neil thinks If that was at fault the car wouldn’t start at all.

So back it needs to go.

13 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Not fuming, no. It will come good.

I’m thinking of it as v1.1

Said it before, you're too nice SP. Think I'd have fallen out with them by now (which wouldn't have done me any favours). 

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Said it before, you're too nice SP. Think I'd have fallen out with them by now (which wouldn't have done me any favours). 

Already done that when I accused him of not fitting the parts I’d paid for = lead balloon.

Maybe v1.01 is more accurate.

i was in good company - the owner rejected Porsche wanting £9000.00 for a major service:

A7729BAE-CDD5-4F8D-8EEC-DE6632125112.jpeg

53A755DC-9695-4A9C-82F9-7CDC0BDBFDEF.jpeg

9 hours ago, SP72 said:

Unbeknown to me, I need a special lead in addition to the dongle itself to plug into my laptop, so no diagnostics will be done.

The car drives horribly, as though it’s on 5 cylinders - stutters, low idle and still smelling rich.

Neil thinks the TPS is at fault. It doesn’t use the factory speed sensor. It has a CHTS and CPS (confirmed good), a cam position sensor - the latter not showing continuity but Neil thinks If that was at fault the car wouldn’t start at all.

So back it needs to go.

If memory serves me right, your car was running well, perhaps a little rich, then this happens, so logic would dictate something has failed in the intervening period.  

Let's hope it is this TPS thingy and you are back on the road very soon.