The End of my IB

Dr Rock

Every part of this story is crushing to read. So gutted for you, and for any one to see their pride and joy go up in flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

ADAC have decided the car is a total loss, so not recovering it to UK (quell surprise), so I guess it is onto the insurance company to recover...

I'm not here much recently, but was really shocked to see what you've been through Fraser. 

main thing is that you are ok - so sorry about the car, but it's only metal and bits, could have been worse.

reckon I've got nearly an entire car in various boxes in my garage so if you do get it back and go for a rebuild then I'm happy to donate to the cause.

Chin up buddy!

Cheers Ben - I also have parts stashed, mostly Saab 900 ones though :rolleyes:

Let's get the car back and go through the insurance grind and then see what the situation is.

Bugga. As you say Doc, get it back and one step at a time. From my old structures days, heated steel changes it properties significantly. Especially if its quenched quickly. Becomes very brittle. 

Just been in to have a chat at Classicline - details were on the system, just about to contact the recovery people when finished typing this, we went through possible options: if it comes to it I get salvage retention and can choose where the car is repaired if I go that route, so right now I am feeling a bit happier :signs118:

One byproduct of being in the country right now is I got to go and vote....:ani_clapping:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Beaky,

if Fraser is not interested I would love the fan. I had asked a month or so back if anyone had one going spare.

Yours.

I'm away this weekend, back Tuesday

27 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

In that case, you could got nuts and make it your perfect 911, to hell with originality.  Wide arches and a loud colour like Continental Orange or Viper green - yum! 

Go on, do it!! Let it live again as a street fighter that can cross a continent with no bother 🤘🏼💃

Its got to be a cat C or D judging by the costs to put all that damage right (assuming its structurally sound after that kind of heat through the metal). The costs are going to be vast knowing the P-tax involved.

must be a tough decision, I'd be a bit torn but not sure I'd want to rise the phoenix from the flames, (especially now you wont ever get that value back in re-sale as a cat car) might be better to cash in and move onto something different and exciting for the next set of adventures. Problem is finding something as seemingly bullet proof as our 911's. Audi Quattro?

all this "its not the car its the experience" is all very well but this is an IB we are talking about here not some fckn turbocharged jelly mould - that car is virtually part of you - sort it out if you can! 

As much as its fun to sit on the sidelines and comment/speculate, until you have the £££ from insurers, you can't make a rational decision and balance that vs the emotion.  I hope the car is rebuilt one way or another, by someone.

1 minute ago, Richard Bernau said:

As much as its fun to sit on the sidelines and comment/speculate, until you have the £££ from insurers, you can't make a rational decision and balance that vs the emotion.  I hope the car is rebuilt one way or another, by someone.

Agreed - hence "sort it out if you can"

I find nothing "fun" about this thread RB!

8 hours ago, R2D2 said:

all this "its not the car its the experience" is all very well but this is an IB we are talking about here not some fckn turbocharged jelly mould - that car is virtually part of you - sort it out if you can! 

+1!!

So sorry to hear about your misfortune Dr R. We all put a lot of our energy and passion into our cars and to have one suffer a fire is tragic. Whilst it seems small consolation that no one was hurt, this is truly the most important thing-  you were lucky in your unluckiness.

When the insurance comes through you will have some options - and there are some nice cars out there if that’s what you choose.  Alternatively you will have some great new parts on your car. Good luck.

M. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Nope. Waiting to see if the insurance are going to recover the car or not...:kickrock:

Maybe mention quite a few of us insured with the same firm are watching how they handle this <_<

I recall when contemplating ClassicLine last year, their TandCs  state they will cover non-genuine (or used) parts to repair the car - is this the case?

The reason I stuck with Lockton/Chubb as they state use of new genuine parts are covered