Cut down number plates...

Fortunate enough that my brother has given me his cherished plate to put on the Supersport - shame for it to be on a Fiat 500!

Got some really nice gel (raised letter) plates from eBay but they looked wrong. Too big for the car so I took a stab at cutting them down.

Was pretty dubious about it, but very happy with the end outcome. 

Used a super sharp Stanley blade with a metal ruler. Scored both sides, snapped the excess, block sanded, dremel'd the corners, wet and dry 1000 grit edges and then finished with some autosol polish. Took about 20mins per plate.

It's personal taste, but I much prefer the look. Quite a therapeutic job all in all! 

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

It does look good and a great number for your car. It is all sorts of illegal but there are so many much worse ones out there it won't even notice. If you get on OK with your MOT man it will be fine but if you take it to a random they may see a chance for a few extra pounds from a re-test..........

I think size is actually? Plus has to have address details of where the plate was bought from I think...

But as mentioned, you'd be unlucky to get pulled for it and come mot time, just pop a stock plate on :)

Looks great by the way :D

Edited by Sidewaysfun

A lot of the new Ferrari, Lambo's and even a few GT3's are not putting front number plates on their cars and seem to getting away with it.

I'd keep a legal set in the car, that normally helps with the MOT guy  and if stopped by plod say i'd forgotten to swap my display plates.

22 minutes ago, Sidewaysfun said:

But as mentioned, you'd be unlucky to get pulled for it and come mot time, just pop a stock plate on :)

I kinda think the opposite, why give them an excuse to pull you over.

You just know it will happen when:

a - you had 2 pints instead of 1
b - your front tyre is a bit too worn
c - you forgot to get that MOT done last week
d - the direct debit for your tax was rejected and you weren't notified
e - your insurance forgot to send you a reminder

etc etc etc.

I got this wrong!

Always thought you could go bigger on plate size but never less than standard.

However the following info from Google tells us otherwise:

The industry standard size front number plate is 520 mm × 111 mm (20½" × 4⅜"). Rear plates are either the same size, or 285 mm × 203 mm (approx 11"x8") or 533 mm × 152 mm (approx 21"x6"). There is no specified legal size for a number plate. For example, the rear number plate of a Rover 75 is 635 mm x 175 mm.

There is a minimum size... I read up on it earlier. Something like 13mm from the first/last letter to the edge. No maximum but you can't have letters on three rows unless it is a period plate

Edited by chodosh

55 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Great reg number!

All down to a little luck. My grandma bought this plate best part of 40 years ago for a couple of quid as her initials were SC. My brother shares her initials so it was passed down to him. For a time he had it on a silver whale tail SC but that car was sold some years ago. Ever since he has had it on various road cars but being a giving soul, has let me put it on the Supersport :-)

10 hours ago, jevvy said:

I kinda think the opposite, why give them an excuse to pull you over.

You just know it will happen when:

a - you had 2 pints instead of 1
b - your front tyre is a bit too worn
c - you forgot to get that MOT done last week
d - the direct debit for your tax was rejected and you weren't notified
e - your insurance forgot to send you a reminder

etc etc etc.

BTDT and it was not pleasant - £700 solicitors and £350 fine later... 

But if it stays then could well be first time someone has put an SC badge on a 3.2. Remember that if it goes to ultimate conclusion then DVLA will remove your entitlement to the plate as well as fine etc.

Personally I think will just just as good if not better when displayed as 9111 SC. The car looks stunning too btw.

34 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Personally I think will just just as good if not better when displayed as 9111 SC. The car looks stunning too btw.

I have to agree with Le Sheriff.  I actually think the mis-space cheapens the look on what is a lovely looking car.

I actually think that pre-2001 89x64mm letters look better on IBs as period correct but the full details of the regs is in the DVLA's INF104 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533255/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

11 hours ago, johndglynn said:

But if it stays then could well be first time someone has put an SC badge on a 3.2. Remember that if it goes to ultimate conclusion then DVLA will remove your entitlement to the plate as well as fine etc.

Took me a while to decode Been There Done That... the spacing is an interesting one as it has remained the same on all the cars that the family have owned for 30 years. I think in this instance the guy who made the plates has double spaced it rather than single. Never historically had a problem, MOT or otherwise but I suppose that is all dependent on who you may encounter that has a bubble to burst.

On the SC piece, a handful of folks said to go with black and silver plates but I don't want to age the car as its an 87MY. I figure SC can stand for Supersport Coupe but to the uninitiated, it probably seems peculiar.

1 hour ago, Leicestershire said:

Really don’t like chancing my luck with the law but mine currently have a stick on plate attached to the front cover. 

IMG_20170603_143212.jpg

I think I'm going to try the stick on front plate thing because I bring myself to drill hols in the bumper - Are the plates you use actually adhesive plates or are they vinyl stick on - if that makes sense?

The white section is printed with the reg number. It looks like this has a clear covering to protect the printing. 

This is placed on top of black vinyl to give it the border. The only step you can feel is between the reflective white and black border.

From memory it was quite pricey for a single number plate (around £40??) but it is nicely finished and feels very durable. 

The backing was easy to remove and it fitted to the car with no problems and no air bubbles. 

It would probably be legal if it was vertical. 

If required I could drill holes through the rubber strip and screw a plate on to the front.

For the MOT a standard plate was fitted in front of the oil cooler.

Edited by Leicestershire

I have only ever used stick on pads but often the contours of the bumper can cause an issue. I forget the brand, I think Signum (blue packet) - they do two size thickness double sided foam pads that take the stress out of the fixing and secure pretty well.

I've been running 3/4 plates for about 4 years. Not been pulled yet, but I don't doubt it will happen one day.  I recently had to change the rear one because it had delaminated a bit due to heat (f/g rear bumper) - removed the Euro badges at the same time ?IMG_2833.thumb.JPG.3a3bfeb0916957c9bf59d3bb0ac161a4.JPG

I've been toying with running no front plate. I've got a front valance that I've smoothed it and it would look nice without the front plate. Just say it fell off and take the producer/£30 fine?